• A total land area of 28,896 sq km, mainly comprising rugged mountains.
• Has nearly double the population of the Bahamas and half that of Timor-Leste.
• The official language is spoken by only one to two per cent of the population.
• Named in 1568 to indicate the belief that the country contained great riches.
• Frequent natural hazards include earthquakes and cyclones, with the threat of volcanic eruptions.
Get the best of Geographical delivered straight to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter and get a free collection of eBooks!