1. The interior of the country is sparsely populated, with a volcanic landscape reaching a peak of nearly 1,500m high.
2. Around two-thirds of the population are Roman Catholic.
3. Total area is only one per cent the size of Panama.
4. The national symbols are a bird and a flower, with national colours of green, yellow, black, white and red.
5. The country name refers to a day of the week.
This was published in the February 2019 edition of Geographical magazine
Get the best of Geographical delivered straight to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter and get a free collection of eBooks!