1. Consists of 63 islands, covering a land area more than twice the size of Malta.
2. Has a total population roughly the same as Barcelona.
3. Has the world’s lowest fertility rate.
4. There are four official languages, although the national anthem is sung in just one.
5. The five stars on its flag represent the ideals of democracy, peace, progress, justice and equality.
This was published in the December 2018 edition of Geographical magazine
Get the best of Geographical delivered straight to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter and get a free collection of eBooks!