1. Twice winners of the FIFA World Cup.
2. The population is half that of Paraguay.
3. Has two national borders, one twice as long as the other.
4. Three quarters of the country is grassland, while ten per cent is forested.
5. Maté tea, traditionally sipped through a metal straw, is a national drink.
This was published in the July 2018 edition of Geographical magazine
Get the best of Geographical delivered straight to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter and get a free collection of eBooks!