Tuesday 3 December, 7.30pm-10.00pm
(Social event, London)
Come one and all to test your general and geographical knowledge at a festive quiz organised by the Younger Members’ Committee. Prizes for the best dressed in festive attire! Maximum of five per team; all over-18s welcome.
• Venue: Royal Geographical Society (with IBG), 1 Kensington Gore, London, SW7 2AR. Tickets: £18, RGS-IBG members £15.
Tuesday 10 December, 5.00pm-6.15pm
Dealing with disease: evaluating responses in the developing world
This talk explores the challenges facing global and local stakeholders in dealing with disease in the developing world.
• Venue: Northumbria University City Campus, Newcastle, NE1 8JG. Tickets: £1 per person.
Tuesday 10 December, 6.30pm-7.30pm
The secrets of Vulcan: the hidden world of underwater volcanoes
Part of Cardiff University’s School of Ocean and Environmental Sciences series on Volcanoes – all you need to know!
• Venue: Wallace Lecture Theatre (0.13), Main Building, Cardiff University, Park Place, Cardiff, CF10 3AT. Tickets: Free.
Tuesday 10 December, 7.00pm-9.00pm
The two Sudans
(Lecture with reception, Norwich)
Christopher Peskett will describe the important work of Médecins Sans Frontières in both Sudan and South Sudan and the link between landscape, climate, tribal politics, religion and health.
• Venue: Pierce Room, Assembly House, Theatre Street, Norwich, NR2 1RQ. Tickets: £5 per person, RGS-IBG members free.
Thursday 16 December, 7.30pm-9.00pm
The lower Mekong: water, Watts and war
Jim Holmes has spent 30 years documenting humanitarian work worldwide with a focus on the individuals and communities affected. His lecture follows one of the world’s mightiest rivers as it flows through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and out to sea.
• Venue: Grosvenor Museum, 27 Grosvenor Street, Chester, CH1 2DD. Tickets: £5 per person, RGS-IBG members free.
19 December 2019-20 April 2020
A shortlist of 50 exceptional photographs and films that document the Earth in all its diversity. Developed jointly by Forestry England and the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG).
• Venue: Grizedale Visitors Centre, Grizedale, Ambleside, LA22 0QJ. Tickets: Free.
Get the best of Geographical delivered straight to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter and get a free collection of eBooks!